CHAPTER II.- PARLIAMENT
80. Composition of the Council of States.-
(1) _58[_59*** The Council
of States] shall consist of-
(a) twelve members to be nominated by the President in accordance
with the provisions of clause (3); and
(b) not more than two hundred and thirty-eight representatives of
the States _60[and of the Union territories].
(2) The allocation of seats in the Council of States to be filled by
representatives of the States _60[and of the Union territories] shall
be in accordance with the provisions in that behalf contained in the
(3) The members to be nominated by the President under sub-clause (a)
of clause (1) shall consist of persons having special knowledge or
practical experience in respect of such matters as the following,
Literature, science, art and social service.
(4) The representatives of each State _61*** in the Council of States
shall be elected by the elected members of the Legislative Assembly of
the State in accordance with the system of proportional representation
by means of the single transferable vote.
(5) The representatives of the _62[Union territories] in the Council
of States shall be chosen in such manner as Parliament may by law