Separatist, Independence, and Decentralization
Sometimes people decide they cannot secure their rights within the
framework of an existing polity, and must separate from it. Sometimes they live
in an occupied country, and the occupying power has no intention of extending
the full rights of citizenship to them, or of complying with constitutional
principles. We generally favor enforcing constitutional compliance within an
existing polity, but sometimes independence is the only way. We distinguish them from Freedom Movements and Republican Movements. The following are links to some movements of this kind. Inclusion does not indicate approval or
support, only relevance.
|Click on the button to get the indicated file
- U.S. Declaration of Independence — The
prototype for constitutional government began with a war for independence, so
we can hardly deny the right of people to separate if they cannot secure their
constitutional rights within an existing polity. Most independence movements
look to this document for their inspiration.
- Movements for National, Ethnic Liberation
or Regional Autonomy — Autonomy, Secession, Independence and
- Secession.Net — Radical libertarian project to
create a worldwide secessionist network.
- Homelands — Autonomy, Secession,
Independence and Nationalist Movements.
- Unrepresented Nations and Peoples Organisation
(UNPO) — international organisation created by nations and peoples
around the world, who are not represented as such in the world�s
principal international organisations.
- Google: Society > Issues >
- Nagorno-Karabakh Republic —
Nagorno-Karabakh dispute from the Armenian viewpoint.
- Karabakh.org — Nagorno-Karabakh dispute from
the Azeri viewpoint.
- Vlaams Belang — Flemish independence
party. Founded by same persons who founded now disbanded Vlaams Blok.
- New Flemish Alliance (NVA) — For an independent Flanders within a federal Europe. Split off from Volksunie.
- Spirit — For decentralization rather than Flemish separation. Split off from Volksunie.2
- Lijst Dedecker (LDD)
— Has Flemish independence written in its political program; has
reached the Belgian electoral treshold and is seated in the Belgian
parlement with 5 members, as of 2007/11/14.
- Bougainville — The Forgotten War
in the South Pacific.
- Bougainville Independence — A
history of the island's struggle for freedom, from the World History Archives.
- Bougainville Updates — Latest news
on the struggle for independence.
- UK Independence Party — Assert traditional (mostly unwritten) UK constitution and oppose illegitmate subjection of it to that of the European Union.
- Scottish National Party — Their current
program is directed at independence within the European Union, which leaves
many questions about what the relationship with England would be, but their
support is growing, and the recently elected Labour government has promised the Scottish Parliament greater autonomy.
- Scots for Independence — History,
articles, and links.
- Scottish Independence — Scotland's move
- The Scottish Distributist —
Nothing short of independence for Scotland will do — free of both
Westminster and Brussels.
- Siol nan Gaidheal — Cultural and
fraternal organization supporting Scottish independence.
- Scots Independence Tour — The
current situation, historical perspective, and prospects for the future.
- The Campaign for Scottish Independence
— Prefer non-violent methods.
- Cornish Stannary Parliament —
Kernow, also known as Cornwall, is a nation conquered by England whose original
people were Celtic, like the Welsh and Scots, and are trying to defend their
- Mebyon Kernow - the Party for Cornwall
— Cornish, Green, Left-of-center and decentralist.
- Cymru Annibynnol – Independent Wales
Party — Seek Welsh independence.
- Cymru 1400 — Welsh nationalist/republican
movement that aims for a Welsh republic and to defend Cymru, its language and
- Plaid Cymru - The Party of Wales — Welsh
nationalist/republican movement, opposed to the National Assembly for Wales.
- TribanCoch — Journal of the Plaid
- Cymdeithas DJ — Research and
public education to preserve and promote the Welsh language (Cymru).
- Welsh Distributist Movement —
Radical Right-wing alternative to Plaid Cymru.
- The Welsh Assembly — Not the
official parliamentary body, or a group seeking independence for Wales, but a
group who oppose British membership in the European Union.
- Mec Vannin — Political party
advocating full republican independence of Mannin (the Isle of Man).
- Ulster Nation — Campaigns for
independence from both Great Britain and Eire.
- — Oldehttp://www.angelfire.com/sc2/scotsforindependencer site.
- Campaign for an English Parliament — You thought England already had a parliament? They seek one separate from Scotland, Wales, Ulster, etc.
- English Democrats Party — Seek separate English Parliament, constitution.
- Silent Majority — Not so silent,
also against membership of Britain in the EU.
- The Western Canada Concept — Movement
dedicated to building an independent nation of Western Canada.
- Alberta Independence Party — Party
which advocates the independence of Alberta under certain circumstances.
- British Columbia Separatist Movement
— Seek independence for the province.
- BC Sovereignty — Advocate
independence of British Columbia.
- The Republic of Alberta —
Dedicated to the secession of Alberta.
- The Newfoundland Patriot —
Advocate independence of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Ontario Independence League —
Advocate independence of Ontario.
- Cape Breton Liberation Army —
Comedy troup satirically "fighting" for the right of Cape Bretoners to separate
from Nova Scotia and form their own province.
- Mouvement de lib�ration nationale du
Qu�bec (MLNQ) — They seek independence for Quebec, the
predominantly French-speaking province of predominantly English-speaking
Canada, mainly to try to prevent their assimilation into the larger
English-speaking world. Unfortunately, it is not political union that produces
that assimilatiion, and independence will not end it. The world is adopting
English as its universal language, something that is no longer reversible, due
to the global system of trade and communications. There are indications,
however, of a conspiracy to promote Quebec independence to bring about a
breakup of Canada and the admission of its English-speaking provinces as states
of the the United States. There is already a strong movement for U.S. statehood
in the Western provinces of British Columbia, Alberta, and Saskatchewan.
British Columbia would have to change its name. This site is entirely in
- History of Chechnya, Past of the Chechen Republic
— History up to the Russia - Chechnya War of 1994-1996.
- The Chechen War after the Fall of
Grozny — Report on the struggle in Chechnya.
- Russia vs Chechnya — Basics of the
- International Tibet Independence
- Government of Tibet in Exile— Official site.
- Free Tibet!— The world-wide movement to
achieve freedom and justice for Tibet, occupied by China since 1959. Although
these efforts are mainly nonviolent, we encourage the support of an armed
resistance to back up the political efforts. See Letter
by Jon Roland.
- Free Tibet — Old site.
- National Democratic Party of
Tibet— Supports the restoration of Tibetan independence under a
- Taiwan Independence Movement —
Advocate abandoning "one-China" farce.
- Inner Mongolian People's Party —
Advocates freedom, democracy and human rights for the Mongols in Inner Mongolia
currently under Chinese colonial rule.
- Free Southern Mongolia — Supports the
Mongolian separatist movement.
- Southern Mongolian Freedom Federation
— Statements published by the organization and photographs of protests
which it has staged.
- East Turkestan Information Center — Advocates the cause
of Uyghur (Uighur) independence.
- European Union — Not a nation yet and
already it has separatist movements.
- UK Independence Party — Seeks Britain's withdrawal from the European Union, opposes sunbjection of UK (mostly unwritten) constitution to that of the EU.
- Europe of Democracies and Diversities
(EDD) — Group of parliamentarians favoring a democratic Europe of
- Europe of Nations — Eurosceptic
anti-Maastricht, anti-EU group (in European Parliament)
- Campaign for an Independent Britain
(CIB) — Coalition group which seeks the UK's withdrawal from the
- The Bruges Group —
Neo-conservative group of primarily British eurosceptics.
- Eurosceptics across Europe — Links
to national anti-EU sites.
- CAFE - Conservatives Against a Federal
Europe — Brits who don't want to live in a European Superstate.
- The Democracy Movement — A
non-party campaign to keep the pound and stop the "European Superstate".
- Congress for Democracy — An
all-party forum campaigning for an independent pound and against British entry
to the single currency.
- The Magna Carta Society — Promotes
the rights and freedoms of British subjects, assured for all time by the Magna
Carta, argues all EU Law illegal in Britain.
- The Eurosceptic — Fighting for UK independence from the European Union.
- Malta Campaign for National Independence — Resisting joining the European Union.
- The Free Britain Site — Warns of
the dangers to Britain from EU membership and abolishing the Pound.
- TEAM - The European Alliance of EU-critical
Movements — EU-critical network of about 40 organisations in 14
countries in and outside the European Union.
- Corsica Nazione — Corsican
- Partit Occitan — The Occitan
Party: its program, Charter, and claims.
- Union D�mocratique Bretonne - Breton
Democratic Union — Advocates home rule for Brittany.
- Iparretarrak (IK) — Armed group
acting in the northern Basque Country.
- Nationalforum Elsa�-Lothringen - Forum
Nationaliste d'Alsace-Lorraine — National Forum of Alsace-Lorraine,
the bilingual borderland between France and Germany.
- The Savoy League - La Ligue Savoisienne
— Savoy, one of the oldest nations in Europe, was annexed by France in
1860. The Savoy League, created in 1994, seeks to reclaim its
- Georgia — The country, not the state.
- Abkhazia.org — Coalition for a
- Abkhazeti.com— Georgian side of the Abkhazian
- Republic of Abkhazia (Apsny) — Devoted to
preserving Abkhazia's de facto sovereignty and promoting its international
- Voice of Abkhazia — The official
radio station of the de facto government.
- Jammu Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF)
- Jammu Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF)
— Alternate site.
- Dalitstan Organization — Seek independence for
the Dalits, or black Untouchables, also known as Dravidians, the original
inhabitants of the Indian subcontinent before the arrival and dominance of the
- Hezb-e-Mughalstan — The "Party of
Mughalstan", which seeks independence for Muslims, especially those in a band
of territory from Kashmir to Bombay.
- Mughalstan Nation — Seek a
sovereign and independent homeland for the Urdu-speaking Muslims of South
- Free Tamil Nadu — Seeks independence for the
Tamil people of south India, and perhaps union with the Tamils of Sri Lanka.
- United Liberation Front of Assam —
Party seeking independence for this state.
- National Socialist Council of Nagalim
— Party promoting the independence of Nagaland and many of the surrounding
regions in the northeast.
- Revolutionary People's Front of Manipur
(RPF) — Party promoting the independence of Manipur.
- People's Revolutionary Party of Kangleipak
- Declaration of Independence of the Sikh
Homeland — Historical background and grievances of the Sikh
- Aceh Portal — Acehnese Independence Movement
for Northern Sumatra.
- Free Papua Movement – Organisasi Papua
Merdeka (OPM) — Also known as Irian Jaya.
- West Papua Niugini (Irian Jaya) —
Promote the fight for self-determination and independence for all West Papuan
- East Timor Human Rights — This
page has links to several sites supporting independence for East Timor, which
was invaded by Indonesia, and has since gained independence.
- Ireland (Eire)
- Sinn Féin — This is the
political arm of the Irish Republican Army, independence movement that won
independence for most of Ireland, except for the counties now called Northern
Ireland, which is still a part of the United Kingdom. They won independence
mainly not through a program of direct military confrontation or bombing, but
of assassination of British officials and their informants, a program that was
depicted in the movie and book Michael Collins. They continue to agitate
for unification of Northern Ireland with the rest of Ireland. The problem is
that the majority of the people who live in Northern Ireland do not want to be
united with the rest of Ireland. They do have a legitimate claim for ending
discrimination against Catholic citizens of Northern Ireland, but not for
unification, although the general unification of Ireland and Britain within the European Union is likely to make the issue moot. Nevertheless, their example is worth studying.
- Palestinian National Authority, formerly called the
Palestine Liberation Organization, since the agreement with Israel yielding
administration to it of parts of the Occupied Territory resulting from the 1967
war. They are seeking an independent Palestinian state comprising all or most
of that Occupied Territory, and some of them would also like it to include the
rest of Israel as well. On the other side, many Israelis would like to keep the
land as part of Israel. The trouble is that Palestinians already live there,
and they can't figure out a way to get them to leave, and they don't want to
extend full citizenship to them, because then Jews would be outnumbered in
Israel. They are moving to some kind of agrement in which most of the land will
become a Palestinian state, but whether they can agree on how much of that land
will be included remains an open issue, and a potential source of continuing
conflict and perhaps war in the Middle East.
- Palestinian Liberation Organization
— National liberation movement led by Yasser Arafat.
- Popular Front for the Liberation of
Palestine — Party advocating the destruction of Israel.
- Azzam Publications — This is an
outlet for Islamic Jihad, which promotes its view of Islam, Palestinian
independence, and opposes Israel and Western influences in the Islamic World.
- Lega Nord — Party advocating the independence
of northern Italy, or Padania.
- The Two Sicilies: The Old Independent State of Southern
Italy — Southern Italy's answer to the Lega Nord.
- Sardinians in Italy — Overview and
chronology of the situation in Sardinia.
- Sardigna Natzione (Sardinian Nation)
— Sardinian nationalist movement.
- Secession fever in Italy —
Numerous separate areas are increasing their demands for autonomy from the
central government in Rome.
- Kosova Crisis Center — Supports
Kosovar independence and Kosovo Liberation Army.
- Kosova Home Page— News and commentary on
situation in Kosova.
- Council for the Defence of Human Rights and
Freedoms — Kosovar human rights group.
- Kosovo.org— Supports independence for Kosovo,
which they spell Kosova.
- Constitutions of the Balkan states
— Has information about situation surrounging Kosova.
- Kurdistan (Parts of Turkey, Iraq, and Iran)
- Kurdistan Democratic Party - KDP - Iraq — One
of the two main independence parties.
- Patriotic Union of Kurdistan - PUK — Second of
the two main independence parties.
- Kurdistan Regional Government - KRG — De facto
government in Northern Iraq.
- Kurdistan Kurdish Conflict — Commentary from globalsecurity.org.
- Kurdish Information Centre —
National liberation movement.
- American Kurdish Information Network— This is
an arm of the Kurdish National Movement, which seeks a homeland, probably
composed of parts of Turkey and Iraq, and perhaps of Iran.
- Merina Nation — Seeks cultural
preservation, autonomy, and perhaps independence for the original
malayo-indonesian people of Madagascar.
- Mauritania and Sudan
- Coalition Against Slavery In Mauritania and
Sudan (CASMAS) — Opposes abuses of black Africans by dominant Arabs in
these countries, which is the issue in the genocidal civil war in Sudan, in
which the people in the South seek independence from the North.
- Ej�rcito Zapatista de Liberaci�n Nacional
(EZLN) (Zapatista National Liberation Army) — The Zapatistas seek
justice for the aboriginal people of the State of Chiapas and parts of
neighboring states, either through reform throughout Mexico or some degree of
autonomy for the region. However, they are also becoming the voice for the
oppressed throughout Mexico. The site is in Spanish, English, and French.
- New Zealand
- Maori Independence — Struggle for
"Tino Rangatiratanga" (absolute sovereignty) by the indigenous people of New
- Moro Islamic Liberation Front —
Islamic separatist movement in the Philippines.
- Euskal Herria (Basque Country) Journal — This
is the PR arm of the Congress for Peace in Euskal Herria (CPEH) and the Basque
National Liberation Movement (MLNV), which seeks independence for a region of
Spain centered on Guernica and San Sebastian, and spilling over into France.
They speak one of the few remaining European languages that is not part of the
Indo-European group, related only to a language spoken in a small region in
- Peace in the Basque Country —
Official site of the Basque autonomous government.
- Links to the Basque conflict —
Directory by a communist group.
- Esquerra Republicana de Catalunya
— Seek autonomy for Catalonia.
- United States of America
- Alaskan Independence Party — Seeks referendum
with choice of statehood, independence, commonwealth, or self-governing
- Alaskans for Independence
- Free the Bear - California Secession and
- California Secessionist Party
- The Republic of Cascadia —
Advocates independence for the Pacific Northwest from both America and Canada,
with a libertarian and pro-business perspective.
- Cascadian National Party —
Advocate secession of the present states of Washington and Oregon from the
- Cascadia Confederacy — Advocates
independence of the Pacific Northwest region from the U.S. and Canada, with an
anti-nationalist and anti-capitalist perspective.
- State of Jefferson — The rich
history surrounding the events leading to the State of Jefferson secession
movement of 1941. The State of Jefferson lives on in the hearts and minds of
many residents of northern California and southern Oregon today.
- Hawai`i — Independent &
Sovereign — Separatist movement of Hawaiian aboriginal people.
- La Voz de Aztlan — Separatist movement that
seeks a reconquista (reconquest) by chicanos (ethnic hispanics of
Aztec descent) of the Southwestern United States and creation of a new nation
of Aztlan (legendary ancient homeland).
- New England Confederation Movement
— Seek independence for New England states. Also see
- Second Vermont Republic
— Seek independence for Vermont.
- South Carolina League of the South
— Seek independence through secession, perhaps for all of the Southern
states of the 1861-65 Confederate States of America.
- Republic of Texas — This is one of
several pages for the somewhat fractured Texas Independence Movement which has
recently received a great deal of attention. We do not support the movement.
Constitutional compliance throughout the United States is attainable.
Independence is not necessary, and distracts from the cause of constitutional
compliance. But they do raise a number of interesting issues.
- Provisional Government of the Republic of
Texas — Another Republic of Texas site.
- United People's Party (Partido Nacional La
Raza Unida) — Many of them seek to separate the part of the U.S. taken
from Mexico from the U.S. and make it an independent Hispanic nation called