1. Criminal law, including all matters included in the Indian Penal
Code at the commencement of this Constitution but excluding offences
against laws with respect to any of the matters specified in List I or
List II and excluding the use of naval, military or air forces or any
other armed forces of the Union in aid of the civil power.
2. Criminal procedure, including all matters included in the Code of
Criminal Procedure at the commencement of this Constitution.
3. Preventive detention for reasons connected with the security of a
State, the maintenance of public order, or the maintenance of supplies
and services essential to the community; persons subjected to such
4. Removal from one State to another State of prisoners, accused
persons and persons subjected to preventive detention for reasons
specified in entry 3 of this List.
5. Marriage and divorce; infants and minors; adoption; wills,
intestacy and succession; joint family and partition; all matters in
respect of which parties in judicial proceedings were immediately
before the commencement of this Constitution subject to their personal
6. Transfer of property other than agricultural land; registration
of deeds and documents.
7. Contracts, including partnership, agency, contracts of carriage,
and other special forms of contracts, but not including contracts
relating to agricultural land.
8. Actionable wrongs.
9. Bankruptcy and insolvency.
10. Trust and Trustees.
11. Administrators-general and official trustees.
_541[11A. Administration of Justice; constitution and organisation
of all courts, except the Supreme Court and the High Courts.]
12. Evidence and oaths; recognition of laws, public acts and
records, and judicial proceedings.
13. Civil procedure, including all matters included in the Code of
Civil Procedure at the commencement of this Constitution, limitation
14. Contempt of court, but not including contempt of the Supreme Court.
15. Vagrancy; nomadic and migratory tribes.
16. Lunacy and mental deficiency, including places for the reception
or treatment of lunatics and mental deficients.
17. Prevention of cruelty to animals.
17B. Protection of wild animals and birds.]
18. Adulteration of foodstuffs and other goods.
19. Drugs and poisons, subject to the provisions of entry 59 of List
I with respect to opium.
20. Economic and social planning.
_541[20A. Population control and family planning.]
21. Commercial and industrial monopolies, combines and trusts.
22. Trade unions; industrial and labour disputes.
23. Social security and social insurance; employment and
24. Welfare of labour including conditions of work, provident funds,
employers' liability, workmen's compensation, invalidity and old age
pensions and maternity benefits.
_542[25. Education, including technical education, medical education
and universities, subject to the provisions of entries 63, 64, 65 and
66 of List I; vocational and technical training of labour.]
26. Legal, medical and other professions.
27. Relief and rehabilitation of persons displaced from their
original place of residence by reason of the setting up of the
Dominions of India and Pakistan.
28. Charities and charitable institutions, charitable and religious
endowments and religious institutions.
29. Prevention of the extension from one State to another of
infectious or contagious diseases or pests affecting men, animals or
30. Vital statistics including registration of births and deaths.
31. Ports other than those declared by or under law made by
Parliament or existing law to be major ports.
32. Shipping and navigation on inland waterways as regards
mechanically propelled vessels, and the rule of the road on such
waterways, and the carriage of passengers and goods on inland
waterways subject to the provisions of List I with respect to national
_543[33. Trade and commerce in, and the production, supply and
(a) the products of any industry where the control of such industry by
the Union is declared by Parliament by law to be expedient in the
public interest, and imported goods of the same kind as such products;
(b) foodstuffs, including edible oilseeds and oils;
(c) cattle fodder, including oilcakes and other concentrates;
(d) raw cotton, whether ginned or unginned, and cotton seed; and
(e) raw jute.]
_541[33A. Weights and measures except establishment of standards.]
34. Price control.
35. Mechanically propelled vehicles including the principles on which
taxes on such vehicles are to be levied.
39. Newspapers, books and printing presses.
40. Archaeological sites and remains other than those _528[declared
by or under law made by Parliament] to be of national importance.
41. Custody, management and disposal of property (including
agricultural land) declared by law to be evacuee property.
_544[42. Acquisition and requisitioning of property.]
43. Recovery in a State of claims in respect of taxes and other
public demands, including arrears of land-revenue and sums recoverable
as such arrears, arising outside that State.
44. Stamp duties other than duties or fees collected by means of
judicial stamps, but not including rates of stamp duty.
45. Inquiries and statistics for the purposes of any of the matters
specified in List II or List III.
46. Jurisdiction and powers of all courts, except the Supreme Court,
with respect to any of the matters in this List.
47. Fees in respect of any of the matters in this List, but not
including fees taken in any court.